People who have special interest are able to dig their interests more while they are in Japan. I will start explaining Japanese history overall, the specific culture history and what is the essence of Japanese culture related their interest.
Feel free to personalize this offer with Mari.
My customers who have strong enthusiasm to learn Japanese culture in depth, will be guided in accordance with their interest; not only Japanese history but also their interests.
Standard 6 hour tour (Shrine and Experience workshop)
9:00 AM Meet at your hotel
9:30 AM Start sightseeing at Meiji Shrine
1. Explain Japanese history overview
2. Stroll Meiji Shrine (you can feel a special sacred Japanese atmosphere.)
3. Explanation of Tokyo Olympic 1964 and 2020 at Yoyogi Tokyo Gymnasium
4. Lunch at Omotesando
5. Experience one of the workshops or culture working journey
3:00PM See off at the last destination
My hourly rate is 3,800 for up to four people. Tour charge will be 3,800 JPY x 6 hours = 22,800 JPY. You can make it longer or shorter as you like.,
Charge for workshops are not included.
The followings are options which you can choose in accordance with your interests.
Culture experience workshop
1. Tea Ceremony (1 hour, Advance reservation needed, 3,500 JPY per person) By experience Japanese traditional tea ceremony in a tea house, you will find Japanese ultimate hospitality.
2. Bonsai – (1 hour, Advance reservation Needed, 3,800 JPY per person) You can enjoy wiring and bending the branches to make your own artistic Bonsai. Bonsai cultivation techniques are different from other tree cultivation techniques in allowing mature (though miniature) trees to grow in small containers, to survive with extremely restricted root and canopy structures.
3. Bonseki – (1 hours, Advance reservation needed. 4,900 JPY per person)
You can experience a traditional Japanese art creating miniature landscapes on black lacquer trays using white sand, pebbles, and small rocks.
4. Japanese Paper Making (WASHI) (1.5 hours, Advanced reservation needed, 1,000 JPY per person)
Japanese paper is thicker and stronger than normal western paper. Participants will form their own sheets using authentic Japanese sugeta (molds/tools), using a traditional sheet forming technique and a special material.
5. Plastic food sample making (2 hours, Advanced reservation Needed, 3,500 JPY per person) You can make plastic food samples including one lettuce, and two pieces of tempura.
(Workshop charge are not included in the tour charge.)
Walking tour for Culture in depth
1. Japanese Art - Ukiyoe Wood Block Pringing Special- Visit Ukiyoe Museum in Harajuku or Sumida Hokusai Museum and Kameido Tenjin for Ukiyoe depicted place
a. Overview explanation about the back-ground of Ukiyoe Wood Block culture
b. Why Ukiyoe influenced to Impressionist, Claude Monet , Vincent van Gogh, etc.
2. Literature - Haiku Special – Focusing on Basho’s Haiku
Visit Basho’s museum in Fukagawa, Saito-an where he started his journey to the north, and compiled a book called “The Narrow Path to the Deep North” and other Basho related places. I will explain why Basho’s Haiku inspires to people over the world.
1. Tsukiji Outer market for retail - There are various kinds of shops, not only fish shops but also greengrocery, confectionery, tea, and sushi restaurants. you will have chances to taste some snacks and food samples.
２．Toyosu Early Morning Auction (3 hours from 4:50 AM)(Wednesdays and Sundays off)
You can enjoy exciting Tuna auction at newly opened Toyosu fish market.
Leave your hotel 4:50AM (Taxi fare about 10,000 yen additional to the tour guide fee.)
3．Sushi Making Workshop (2.5 hours Advanced reservation needed 11:00AM~ or 1:00PM~ 5,000 JPY/Person) Instructed by a professional Sushi Chef. This workshop will provide you exciting and unforgettable experience. Lunch charge for Sushi and Tempura is included.
1.Tokyo National Museum in Ueno (There are more than 100,000 art works and you can learn Japanese art history. I will explain the overview of Japanese Art History.)
2. Mezu Meseum(The private collection of pre-modern Japanese and East Asian art)
3. Ohta Memorial Ukiyoe Museum (Famous wood-block printing in Edo Period 18C)
4. Tokyo Edo Museum (A historical museum for the 400-years of Edo-Tokyo history since Tokugawa Ieyasu entered Edo. There are the permanent exhibition, showcasing original objects and replicas.)
Historical Japanese Gardens walking
1. Imperial East Garden (It’s used to be a part of Edo Castle, i.e.,the residence of the Tokugawa shogun who ruled Japan from 1603 to 1867.)
2. Edo-Hamarikyu Garden (An excursion type garden built by members of Tokugawa family as a hunting ground of ducks. When the seasons change, the garden changes along with it as some flowers fade and new ones bloom.)
3. Koishikawa Korakuen park, a Japanese garden (A Japanese garden which used to a Samurai mansion of the Mito Tokugawa. Strongly influenced by Confucius, Mitsukuni brought in elements from the mountains, rivers, and lakes to the garden.)
4. Kiyosumi Garden （An excursion type Japanese garden built by a famous Edo merchant.）
Hotel Pick-up in Tokyo area
Transportation - Public transportation fee will be roughly 1,500yen per person. I recommend using the IC prepaid ticket called PASMO card.
Offerings to the temples and shrines
- This is a walking tour. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- When you get tired, please let me know. I will consult with you which is the better choice for you between public transportation and a taxi.
Yes! If you need to make changes such as removing or adding someone to your booking or changing the date or time of your tour, contact us by phone or email
After you secure your booking, the starting and ending points of your tour can be customized to your convenience (ex.: your hotel, nearby stations, etc.). Don't worry, we will take care of you! Some tours may have an extra fee for this service, make sure to check the tour page.
After booking a tour, the guide will accept (or decline) your booking within 24 hours. Then you will be noticed by email from Triplelights.
The price is charged per group. Which means that you make a one-time payment for your entire group and the price will not change if it is less or more people.
Some guides accept extra people (more than the specified number) for an extra charge. Please check for the extras on the tour or booking page, or contact your guide directly to clarify.
No. Your tour is private, only for you and your family or friends, there will be no other group of tourists together in your tour.
Yes, but there will be additional charge for that and it is not by car. The guide will go pick you up using public transportations. For further details, please contact your guide directly.
Yes, you can and you may be able to get a discount if you are traveling alone. Price depends on which guide you choose.
Mari helped me make the most of my layover, very efficiently introducing me to Japanese culture. In just four hours, she introduced me to Japanese pastries, we toured a gorgeous temple and grounds, attended a tea ceremony, visited a shrine, strolled the very quaint and historic town of Narita, shopped for personalized chopsticks and other crafts, and ate delicious ramen. Throughout, Mari provided history and context for the many Japanese traditions we witnessed. This was by far the best ever layover! Mari met me at the airport and escorted me back, helping me navigate the 10-minute train ride to Narita. She speaks excellent English and is wonderful! I urge anyone with a Tokyo airport layover to try her tour.
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I also enjoyed guiding you in Narita. We were lucky; we were able to attend an authentic tea ceremony surrounded a beautiful leaf-coloring garden and to enjoy listening to a comfortable music. There activities were special for that weekend only. I am sure you took a nice break from your business trip and restored your energy for your future work. Thank you again. Regards, Mari
Mari is a very cheerful and experienced tour guide. She brought us to Tsukiji and showed us all the interesting stores and places at the market. She narrated the interesting stories and events that happened at Tsukiji. Instead of queuing for hours to try quality sushi at the market, Mari steered us to a little sushi shop, Sushi Cho, a few blocks from Tsukiji which sells excellent quality sushi without the long line. Mari accompanied us to Ometasando Hills, the Olympic stadium and the Akasaka state guest house. I will definitely engage her services when we visit Tokyo in the future.
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed my tour today. I hope Joyse will find the limited version of LV bag in future. When you plan to visit Japan next time, please let me know to guide you again.
We could not have experienced Nikko in one day without Mari. She knew all the special sights and could explain the history and rituals to us. She let us take our time to explore and answered all of our questions. I would highly recommend for a tour of Nikko and any other tour she offers.
Thank you very much for your excellent review. It was my great pleasure to guide you in Nikko. I will never foreget the beautiful leaf-colloring in Nikko, especially Taiyu-in temple and Kanmangafuchi Abyss. I hope you will continue enjoying the rests of your journey in Japan. Thank you again.
We could not have asked for a better guide. Via emails, Mari determined our interests well ahead of time, and prepared an itinerary that not only included sights we requested but also introduced us to some "hidden secrets" that made the tour very special. She is very knowledgeable on all matters of Japan (even though our focus was on historical art and architecture) and enlightened us greatly on the significance of many observations that we would otherwise have missed. Mari is very organized and knew what to omit in order to manage our time efficiently. We found conversations came easily with her and the day's experience was a total pleasure.
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I also enjoyed guiding you. I am glad we had time to talk about Japanese art history and gardening. I hope your experience in Tokyo National Museum might give you an idea or imagination for your next artwork. I really like your paintings which show your artistic talent and great sensitivity. I hope you will enjoy the rest of your journey in Japan. Thank you again.
Excellent, knowledgeable, professional and experienced lady
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It is encouraging for me. Even though it’s a short time, I am glad you enjoyed traditional atmosphere of the temple’s town. Please visit again and let me guide you again. Warmest regards,