Nagahama (Population: about 120,000; Area: about one sixth of the whole of Shiga) has developed after Hideyoshi, a famous hero in the Provincial War Period, put his base castle here in 1570s. UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Asset, Hikiyama festival has an origin of celebrating a birth of the strongman’s first son. Thus, many spots associated with the old days still remain here and there.
Feel free to personalize this offer with Yoshi.
The One Day Walking Tour around Central Nagahama (approx., 8 hours) consists of the following 2 major courses;
1) The Statue of Mitsunari’s Encounter with Hideyoshi, Which was to Change Dramatically Japanese History since Then. (The story gives you a fundamental knowledge for understanding the city well.) [50m from JR Nagahama Sta.; 1 minute walk]
2) Hoko-en Park (豊公園) and Nagahama Jyo Castle Museum (長浜城歴史博物館)
(This is the first castle of Hideyoshi, facing Lake Biwa. The warlord started climbing the ladder of success from here) [400m from JR Nagahama Sta.; 5 minutes walk]
3) The Oldest Existing Station Building of Nagahama and the Railroad Square
(You can focus on the dynamic change of Japan just after the Meiji Restoration) [500m from the Castle; 6 minutes walk]
4) Keiun-kan Guest House (慶雲館) with a Traditional Japanese Garden, Where You can Appreciate Fragrant Scent of Potted Ume (Japanese plum) Here from Jan. to Early Mar. [50m from the Square; 1 minute walk]
5) Yanmar Museum (ヤンマー博物館), Where You can Fully Enjoy Thrilling Experience Related to Agricultural Machines [800 m from the Guest House; 10 minutes walk]
6) Walking along Hokkoku-kaido Street (北国街道), Which Used to Be One of the Main Roads in Edo Period. (You can focus on an advanced enthusiasm and deep culture of the town people in Meiji Period) [800 m from the Museum; 10 minutes walk]
7) Kurokabe Street (黒壁通り), a Shopping Zone for Various Souvenirs [100 m from the Street; 1 minute walk]
8) Kaiyo-do Figure Museum Kurokabe (海洋堂), a Theme Museum of Dinosaur Aimed at All Age Levels. [100 m from the Street; 1 minute walk]
9) Hikiyama Float Museum (曳山博物館), the Theme of Which is the Float Parade Festival Registerd as an UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Asset in 2016 [200 m from the Street; 2 minutes walk]
10) Nagahama Betsuin Daitsu-ji (大通寺), a High-ranked Local Temple of Otani Party under the True Pure Land Buddhism (浄土真宗大谷派). Relics of Fushimi Momoyama-jyo castle and Nagahama-jyo castle were moved here and reused for the temple, many of which are designated as important cultural properties. [300 m from the Museum; 3 minutes walk]
11) Nagahama Hachimangu Shrine (長浜八幡宮), which was established in 1069. Though the temple was burned down during the fierce battle in the Provincial War Era, but was restored again by Hideyoshi in 1570s. [500 m from the Street; 6 minutes walk]
Admission / Entrance Fee (For Tourists): Approximately 2000 (Two Thousands) JPY Each for One Day Course
Approximately 1000 (One Thousand) JPY Each for a Half Day Course
Transportation (If necessary
For Tourists and the Guide): Less than 1000 (One Thousand) JPY Each
Lunch and/or Dinner (For Tourists): Less than 2000 (Two Thousands) JPY Each
Any Unexpected Cost (For Tourists): Less than 1000 (One Thousand) JPY Each
The exhibition of Japanese Bonsai for dwarf potted Ume (Japanese plum) at Keiun-kan Guest House (慶雲館) is limited from early Jan. to early Mar.
1. Basically 7 days a week
2. Besides sightseeing spots in Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Nara), the guide has a detailed knowledge in KOHOKU (Northernmost) district in Shiga Pref.
1)Shizugatake Old Battlefield, 2)Lake Yogo, 3)Woody Pal Yogo, 4)Tojyuin temple, 5)Kanzan-ji temple, 6)Zencho-ji temple, 7)Kaizu Osaki for Cherry Blossom Viewing, 8)Keisoku-ji temple for Autumnal Leaves, 9)Throughout Central Kinomoto area, 10)Odani Jyo Castle, 11)Sugatani Hot Spring Resort, 12)Chikubu-shima island, 13)Doganji-temple (A National Treasure), 14)Takatsuki Museum of Ethnic and Historical Materials, 15)Throughout Central Nagahama city, etc.
1) One Day Course Schedule:
9:00 AM at JR Nagahama Sta. Start
5:00 PM at JR Nagahama Sta. Arrive (Tour end)
2) In a case of Rainy weather: Only a Half Day Course (Morning Course or Afternoon Course) is available, if you prefer. You can visit some highlights among the one day course. The guide fee is half-rate; 11,500JPY (Approx., 102 USD). A tourist has to prepare a rain apparel by him/herself.
Half Day Course Schedule:
9:00 AM at JR Nagahama Sta. Start
1:00 PM at JR Nagahama Sta. Arrive (Tour end)
1:30 PM at JR Nagahama Sta. Start
5:30 PM at JR Nagahama Sta. Arrive (Tour end)
3) Museum Closed
・Yanmar Museum (ヤンマー博物館): Every Mon., A Day after Every Public Holiday, Year-end & New Year Holidays
・ Keiun-kan Guest House (慶雲館) : Early Dec. to Early Jan. & Early Mar. to End of Mar.
・ Other Museums: Year-end & New Year Holidays
4) During mild seasons from Mar. to Nov., a bike tour is also available, if the weather permits. Bicycle Rental: At JR Nagahama Sta. (500 JPY / 1 day・1 person)
You can extend your sightseeing to the suburbs of the city, such as The Big Buddha of Nagahama, Kunitomo Matchlock Museum, Anegawa Old Battlefield and Azai History and Folk Museum. read more
Yes! If you need to make changes such as removing or adding someone to your booking or changing the date or time of your tour, contact us by phone or email
After you secure your booking, the starting and ending points of your tour can be customized to your convenience (ex.: your hotel, nearby stations, etc.). Don't worry, we will take care of you! Some tours may have an extra fee for this service, make sure to check the tour page.
After booking a tour, the guide will accept (or decline) your booking within 24 hours. Then you will be noticed by email from Triplelights.
The price is charged per group. Which means that you make a one-time payment for your entire group and the price will not change if it is less or more people.
Some guides accept extra people (more than the specified number) for an extra charge. Please check for the extras on the tour or booking page, or contact your guide directly to clarify.
No. Your tour is private, only for you and your family or friends, there will be no other group of tourists together in your tour.
Yes, but there will be additional charge for that and it is not by car. The guide will go pick you up using public transportations. For further details, please contact your guide directly.
Yes, you can and you may be able to get a discount if you are traveling alone. Price depends on which guide you choose.
Yoshi is an excellent guide! He is a hard-working and wonderful ambassador for his country. Yoshi takes his work seriously and is scrupulously prepared. His care for his clients really shows. He went above and beyond for us. Yoshi is very well-informed about so much, including Japanese history, current Japanese affairs, and the flowers and trees of Japan. He is interesting, energetic, kind, and hospitable. Our only wish was that we had more time with Yoshi! We are grateful we met him.
Dear Julie san and Ron san. Thank you very much for your nice feedback. As our mission as a tour guide is, of course, to insure our customers' satisfaction, I've believed (as a former Quality Engineer) that we have to do our maximum effort, sacrificing our short lunch and rest time. I'm so glad to know that you kindly felt a touch of it. Again, I was extremely happy to be able to have an opportunity to go around the best spots with you and Ron san yesterday. Thank you, PS: I will try not to be a "Crybaby" any more. From Yoshi Apr., 19 (Fri.), 2019; 22:23
Very lucky to have Yoshi san as our guide who took care of us from the time he picked us up from the hotel until he send us back to the hotel. I'm very impressed and appreciative when he accomodate to our slow movement. He planned well according to what we wanted even at the short notice of visiting Nara Womens University. Really love the Kimono experience and picnic under cherry blossoms at Osaka castle. Our family especially my daughter had a lovely and wonderful time. Thank you Yoshi san for understanding and being an amazing tour guide for us. - Siti, Malaysia.
Siti san, Zainal san, alias sweet Sumo wrestler, and a promising No.1 journalist in Malaysia, Farah san, I thank you very much for selecting such an amateurish tour guide like me for your memorable tour tripping around Kansai district, Japan. I was relieved that the weather on the days during your trip was relatively good (not so cold and not so warm), and we could make it in time when the cherry blossoms that all of you must have eagerly anticipated started. You were able to dabble at OHANAMI (Cherry viewing) at Osaka Jyo park, eating Takoyaki, weren't we? The gift that charming Farah san surprisingly gave me must have become one of my most important treasuries. Thank you so much. PS : As I promised so, I'm going to send all the photos that I took for your wonderful family through e... read more
Yoshi was very knowledgeable on all the places he took us for the two days we were in Osaka. He picked us up at our hotel. Planned the day according to what we wanted to see and the activities we were interested in. I have a bad knee and stairs were a problem, he made a lot of effort to accommodate this. For this I am very impressed. He definitely went over and beyond. Our family had a great time and will be beyond. Thank you Yoshi San! -- Sheila Cemer Houston Texas
Sheila san and your handsome family members: Thank you very much for your lavish word to this amateurish tour guide. I have to appreciate you, giving me the opportunity to go around here and there in the merchants' city under brisk winter sky. I'll never forget the fantastic memory with you and your family. PS: Have you successfully been able to open all the pictures that I took for your family?