What to Expect
This tour include Himejijyo castle and Kobe Rokko mountain to see the overview of Kobe, Osaka and Wakayama in the distance which is said to be $1000million night view if you see it at the night.
You can enjoy both traditional architecture of Himejijyo castle registered as World culture heritage in 1992 at the first time of Japan and the beautiful overview from Rokko mountain. The architecture of this castle is the masterpieces of Japanese traditional technology which has been developed by lots of Japanese craftsmen. Many civil engineering structures such as large keep, turret, castle gate, mud wall stone wall, moat and so-on has been well reserved.
Therefore, this castle is very famous for its surviving Japanese castle architecture that preserve the original architecture structure.
That is why this castle is historically very precious architecture.
You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of Himeji castle which is called by White Heron castle because the elegant figure of the castle resembles to a Heron flying away with spreading it’s wings.
1） At the entrance of Himeji castle, to see the castle tower in the distance.
The area of Himeji castle is very wide which is equal with 5 units of Tokyo dome.
2) After through the entrance by paying yen1000 per person and walking up to a slope, you will see the Large gate called “Hishino-mon”.
From this entrance spot, you can also see the castle tower.
3) After through the gate, the path go toward two way. Left side is toward the garden called “Nishinomaru”. Right side is toward main enclosure and the castle tower. You can see the main enclosure and castle tower toward the right side.
4) There exists a long winding slope to reach the main enclosure. A lot of large keep, turret, castle gate, mud wall stone wall and moat to encounter enemy.
You can see around 1,000 loopholes called “sama” from where guns were fired at attackers. Angled chutes called “ishi-otoshi” were also set at lots of points in the castle walls to throw stones or pour boiling oil on attackers.
see the main enclosure and castle tower toward the right side.
5) The castle tower is located on a rising ground whose altitude is 45.6meter.
The height of the stone wall is 14.85 meter and that of main enclosure is 31.5meter.
Therefore, the castle is standing by the height of 92meter of altitude.
6) The main attractions of this castle is to see inside castle tower. Current castle tower built in 1609 consists of one castle large keep and three castle small keep that are connected each other by guard tower hall.
7) You can enter those keeps to do sightseeing and walk up to the large keep on the top floor.
There are a lot of exhibits related with Himeji castle at every important points.
8) After proceeding the tour route, you reach castle large keep.
The castle large keep is built with five stories appearance with roofs and seven stories inside by a first floor of a basement.
Landscape from 5th floor of large keep:
You can see the landscape of Himeji from each floor of the keep by walking up the floors.
Kobe Rokko mountain is a mass of mountains which lie with stretching from south-east to north-west of Kobe and surrounding area by around 30km. This Rokko mountain is famous for the landmark in this area of Kobe. This is also famous for the spot of night view and there are lots of observation places set in these area. This night view is one of the three best night view spots in Japan, other spots are the view from Hakodate mountain and that of Inasayama in Nagasaki.
1)There are two main observation places.
One is Observation Café (Tenran Café) by no charge of admission.
The other is Rokko Shidare Observatory by admission fee of yen 300 per person.
Both above were granted the rank of one star in the Michelin Hyogo version in 2016.
2) From those observation platform located near the station ,you can see the overview of Kobe and also Osaka, Wakayama in the distance which is said to be $10million night view if you see it at the night. There are some restaurants and variety of souvenir shops.
If you like, special event of “Lightscape of Rokko” is held inside Rokko Shidare Observatory from 6:00pm and you can enjoy fantastic art of Light.