What to Expect
1. Itsukushima Shrine
- It is said that the shrine was established by Saeki-no-Kuramoto in the 6th century. There has a magnificent vermilion trii gate, which stands in the sea.
2. Daishoin Temple
- It was found in the 9th century by Kobo Daishi or Kukai, the founder of the Shingon school of Buddhism. The oldest temple in Miyajima.
3. Daiganji Temple
- In the main hall, there are four Buddha statues which are designated as a National Important Cultural Property. One of the four is Yakushi Nyorai Zazo, a seated statue of Medicine Buddha and is said to have been made by Kobo Daishi.
4. Senjokaku (Toyokuni Shrine)
- Hall of One Thousand Tatami Mats and Five-storied Pagoda. It is dedicated to the warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi (one of famous feudal lords in the 16th century.) The construction of the hall still remains unfinished today.
* Please note that we may skip some listed spots depending on the pace of the tour.