What to Expect
1. Itsukushima Shrine
- It is said that the shrine was established by Saeki-no-Kuramoto in the 6th century. There has a magnificent vermilion trii gate, which stands in the sea.
2. Daishoin Temple
- It was found in the 9th century by Kobo Daishi or Kukai, the founder of the Shingon school of Buddhism. The oldest temple in Miyajima.
3. Daiganji Temple
- In the main hall, there are four Buddha statues which are designated as a National Important Cultural Property. One of the four is Yakushi Nyorai Zazo, a seated statue of Medicine Buddha and is said to have been made by Kobo Daishi.
4. Senjokaku (Toyokuni Shrine)
- Hall of One Thousand Tatami Mats and Five-storied Pagoda. It is dedicated to the warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi (one of famous feudal lords in the 16th century.) The construction of the hall still remains unfinished today.
5. Other shrines and temples
- Visiting small shrines and temples in Miyajima.