What to Expect
Sumo is a contact sport. Sumo wrestlers weighing over 100kg (220 lb) practice with all their strength. You can watch their practice at the ring side. Sumo wrestlers wearing nothing but a loincloth surround the ring. Practice starts from the lower ranked sumo wrestlers. All other wrestlers except for the competing two perform stretching exercise, basic sumo exercise to strengthen legs, hips, and upper body, and muscle building exercise. A match practice is a serious bout between two sumo wrestlers. As if competing in a real tournament, wrestlers hit head to head, push each other, or throw the opponent onto the ring. The winner is qualified to stay in the ring and competes with a new opponent. Some wresters stay in the ring for a long time by beating many opponents. As the practice progresses a higher ranked wrestler comes into the ring and easily defeats the lower ranked winner. Sumo is a world of real ability. Only the talented and well trained wrestlers can get to the higher rank and the rest should leave or retire.
Consequently, a sumo practice watch tour is permitted only to those who realize and follow the sumo tradition and manners. Our guide will ask you to follow certain rules in watching the practice. We may sometimes have to ask certain people who don’t follow the rules to leave the tour.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard for the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate. It is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without notice.
- As a standard rule, children under 12 years old are not allowed to join this program, as many of them often cannot stay silent and keep sitting still.
- Please understand that you may be asked to sit on a floor without chairs at some stables.
- Before you visit a stable, remember to read the precautions you need to follow in the FAQ .
- Please advise us if you have any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or the case where you would like to request a special care for participants, including children. Please note that any programs booked without an inquiry will not be guaranteed.
- Our services are mainly offered in English. In addition, services in other languages, such as Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian are also available. In case you would like services in languages other than English, please inquire us as soon as possible. We will check the availability.
- Before booking, please email us to check the availability.
Please note that any programs booked without an inquiry will not be guaranteed.
- Our business hours are from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on weekdays. For inquiries received outside the business hours, we will look into them and respond on the next business day.
- In February and March, a tour is offered in Osaka . Please check the detail here:
- In June and July, a tour is offered in Nagoya . Please check the detail here:
Guiding fees, transportation fee from hotels using public transportation such as subway or JR. In case you prefer to use a taxi or hired car, an actual expense will be charged.
※In case of meeting at your lobby, your hotel should be within a ten-minute walk distance from a JR station on Yamanote Line or subway station. We may charge an additional fee in case your hotel is located out of this range.
What‘s not included
Lunch, Food and Drinks, Shopping Expenses
at nearby station
Number of people
up to 4 people